Wednesday, March 3, 2010

A new day of hope is here!

So, we went to Charlotte to the reproduction endocrinologist yesterday. The place was fabulous. It was the most professional and sensitive place we've ever been. They even lowered their voices when they referred to 'infertility'. Im typically a nervous nelly, but they really settled me right in (AND they had the COOLEST coffee maker, that also made hot chocolate with a little bit of snickers gooey goodness inside).

They greeted us with an insurance layout that detailed our coverage and what is available. Nice to have, nice to know. The appointment was wonderful, aside from finding that my weight puts me in the"extreme obesity" category (traumatizing), and I really liked everyone I met. They had obviously read both our charts, addressed us by name, introduced themselves, and generally spoke like knowledgeable people (not akin to "so, your guys aint workin full time for ya", like our most recent dr visit went). We found out interesting things. Apparently, it was imperative that I have have a scary ultrasound (yep, insert V word), to assess my uterus & ovarian health. She thinks all looks fairly normal but the left side is full of follicles that might indicate a slight ovulatory discrepancy. It was very important to her that John NOT begin his testosterone injections. Since his levels were only slightly lowered, it is more likely due to his lifetime of smoking than an actual hormone problem. The same cause can be linked to his part-timers. Now that he has stopped smoking, she feels that those issues will correct themselves, and, incidentally, testosterone injections can cause the part timers to become quitters altogether. We do NOT WANT THAT. She tested me for cystic fibrosis, which is the most common caucasian disease. Apparently, if I carry for it, and John does as well, we would then only be candidates for IVF so that genetic testing of the embryo is possible. They will only implant the Cystic Fibrosis negative embryos, in that situation. We are good candidates for IUI (Intrauterine Insemination)-barring the cystic fibrosis gig, and we will begin this upcoming cycle. I feel very positive and uplifted. I soo needed this appointment to go well. She ran tons of bloodwork (including, I am embarrassed to say, a blood type, because I have no clue). Enough bloodwork that she will probably be able to tell when I last farted. Just sayin. All in all, a wonderful day. Im very excited and looking forward to our next step.

2 comments:

  1. Good luck with everything on your next visit. Hoping for the best for you both!

    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too am considered extremely obese and find it mortifying....but not enough to give up food.

    ReplyDelete